NUFFY

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sigh of relieve

Yes, I am very happy that the debate competition is finally over! Basically, I have learnt on a lot of things through that competition. I have gained confidence to speak in public areas now.

Day one:
We reached HELP University College at 7.00am and registered.
For round one, we were not really good on it as we didn't link on what everyone was trying to say.
For round two, only then we realize that Ara's gang was true about the government should open a case and set the parameter as well as setting a policy which is not about status quo. We finished day one of debate at 3.30pm.

Then, later the afternoon, when we checked in to Peninsula Malaysia Hotel (this is more like expenses paid trip actually). All of us realized that we have not eaten anything since morning due to stress, we decided to dine in Roselle, the hotel's restaurant (Mrs. Surekah paid for us this time). The design of the restaurant and even the hotel itself are just explicitly awesome. I couldn't say anything more than "they provide very good service".

When we were done with our dinner, we got into our room and started writing our scripts. Then, at night when we needed to do research, we went to Mrs. Surekah's relative's house. I tell you, the house was really beautiful with all those decorations of tiki cultures, arrows that were replicas of the Red Indians', Buddha carvings and so much more. It is really..... beautiful!

After we were done with the research, we stopped at McD to order food to eat. I ordered the piggiest one: double spicy chicken McDeluxe. It was just nice. Just imagine the tastiness of one piece of that burger, but I was having two!


Day 2
For third round, (thanks to the comments in round two) we have won the case by proposing a policy which is not regarding status quo. We managed to win this because we finally put our thoughts right.

For the fourth round. I screwed it all up - completely! We only knew that we were opposition one hour before the motion started. And I basically do not have any script at all. I was just talking nonsense:
1. I couldn't package my delegation's points up in time because they were all talking and everything...
2. I was rebutting on a very airy way. I was just sort of touch and go? Seriously, I was the worse there.
3. Charumathy had to leave the team because she has to go for another competition right after the third motion ended.

After I came out during the jurisdiction where we were all required to come out of the room, I was really sad and disappointed with my stupidity there. Then we saw a delegation who had the same problem with us (our rooms were next to each other, so when we meet up we just started talking on that issue). They landed on the same situation as us. They were so well-versed with their opposition scripts till then, they knew they were government for that motion.

But I can tell, we all really had fun and most importantly, experience.

As I came back to Seremban with teacher, Tushaani and Vasanthra via train (expenses paid by teacher) We were debating like mad raccoons in the train. We had so many motions in the bus that almost everyone near us in the coach was listening (not eavesdropping) us. I wonder what will they think of us... Freaks?

This went on from beginning till the end of the journey. Teacher was too tired to participate in but she was listening to it.

Now, I can relax (as I have come to an agreement where all of us in the delegation, including the teacher had decided not to come to school and rest at home. It was a unanimously agreed) and arrange my thoughts and prepare myself for another competition next month. A very important competition: Mid-term examination. I hope I can do it.

For Tushaani, Vasanthra and Charumathy, thank you so very much. Of course not forgetting Mrs. Shamala and Mrs. Surekah who'd been there to summarize the points for my rebuttals. Thank all of you for the encouraging support!

No comments: