NUFFY

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Consumerism

WARNING: This post is (quite) radical. So, if you are a type of mellow person who follows according to status quo, please leave. (

Skip the upper part and just get to the gist if you are bored with the acts

)


con·sum·er·ism

[kuhn-soo-muh-riz-uhm] Show IPA
–noun
1.
a modern movement for the protection of the consumeragainst useless, inferior,
or dangerous products, misleadingadvertising, unfair pricing, etc.

Section 14. Gifts, prizes, free offers, etc.

(1) No person shall offer any gift, prize or other free item -

(a) with the intention of not providing it; or

(b) with the intention of not providing it as offered.

(2) No person shall in offering any gift, prize or other free item with the purchase of any goods or services,

whether or not contingent on the purchase of other goods or

services -

(a) charge more than the regular price for the goods or services to be purchased; or

(b) reduce the quantity or quality of the goods or services to be purchased.

(3) A person who offers a gift, prize or other free item may impose any reasonable condition on the offer.

(4) Where a person imposes a condition on the offer, he shall -

13 of 50

(a) describe the condition clearly;

(b) ensure that the description of the condition is conspicuously placed near the expression "free" or "free

offer", as the case may be; and

(c) ensure that the print of the description of the condition is at least half as large as the print used for the

expression "free" or "free offer".

(5) For the purposes of this section -

"free" or "free offer" includes any expression of similar meaning;

"regular price" means the price at which similar goods or services are regularly sold on the market.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Above are the definition of the word and an Act of the word. What I have experienced today:
1. A lady in a convenience store has totally violated the citation of the act I've provided, Part II section 14.

These are her offenses:
1. She has taken out the seal logo of Dom's box
2. She has taken out the individual gifts which are of status quo, in the box and sells them separately
3. She has offended me in a rude manner - her speech

My offenses:
1. I was loud by saying, "I shall not come here again," to my cousin in law who was with me just to let the manager hear me.
2. I was even louder by saying, "This person (manager) is really..." to him outside the premise.
3. I was shouting on the way to my car by saying, "This is bloody insane!" and my cousin shushed me there and then.
Well, I could simply be charged due to:
1. public embarrassment to the manager
2. public harassment for shouting
But hey, these were less than 5 minutes. I doubt the manager would have such a mind to charge me due to these offenses.

These are more than enough that I shall lodge a report to Negeri Sembilan Consumer's Association. Please, readers. I am telling all of you here, if ever you are being cheated for any offense, please do lodge a report. Although I am only 17 years old, does that mean my rights as a valid and legal customer be violated? It's surely a resounding no! Stand up for yourselves, people. We can make a change. As the saying goes, customers always right.

PS: See, I told you. I am radical, but for the right cause.

No comments: