NUFFY

Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Mario Philosophy

Few minutes ago, I was playing this... rather childish game called Super Mario. Yes, I know I am already 17 and I should play more serious games and stuffs like that but hey, if you take a good look at this game, there actually are a lot of hidden messages in it. I'm not saying that there are a lot of invisible cubes to knock on, I'm saying here is messages about life and human norm. I have thought of two most common examples to write this post. I hope you would enjoy reading it. Food for thoughts? Decide for yourselves.
Example one - Mushrooms:
You could simple say that the mushrooms are the most common enemies in the Mario world, no one denies it. In fact, most common enemies are the ones we should be careful of, instead of thinking way too far about any other things, of reaching the poles at the end of each levels and making such brouhaha out of it, big deal. But can you tell me that no one has been killed by the common enemies before? Can you tell me that you've never being killed by this before without cursing out loud after that and can you too tell me that you've never accidentally fallen into the pits before too? So this is it. The most common enemies, the most common obstacles take our opportunities away as easily as that. In the world, you lose a life. In reality however, you lose a huge opportunity of getting something. Advise? Be careful but not too much. Everything comes and goes accordingly. So, just plan wisely.

Example two - Tokens:
You can say, "It doesn't matter if I lose one life. I can compensate for it when I've collected 100 pieces of tokens," and too no one denies that. But have us not thought for once, what if we keep that life, and get one more extra? Wouldn't it be better, instead of just losing one and getting one back (if you're lucky enough). In reality, there isn't really such thing as compensations in life, is it? What I would say here is... in life, everything has its stakes. Everything has to be well balanced. Not by grabbing so many things in a go and trust me, in the end, you will collapse. Learn to breathe as well. Don't get upset easily or worry unnecessarily about the little things that should not be of your concern. Take one step at a time. Believe it or not, I am actually advising myself on this too. It's really funny when people advise another person and when he comes to face the same challenge, he fails the same way too and needing someone else to comfort him.

In the nutshell, everything we has it's antecedence and consequence. From the most common mathematical reasoning argument type (derived from Aristotle's Laws of Logic) of if p, then q, we could say from example one:
If I step on the mushrooms, then they will die.
If I touched them, then I will die.
And surely, you would be able to think for example two's implication. That's all from me (which I dunno why am I so philosophical now) and I wish everyone here Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri.

PS: OK, I think there is some anachronistic lapse in my brain now. Pardon me for sounding like an old pope.

No comments: