NUFFY

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Religions


Definition of religion:
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generallyagreed upon by a number of
persons or sects.

Today in class, Benjamin asked me quite a number of questions regarding my faith and my stand in my religion. I doubt that he (or anyone else) could accept the fact that I accept the fundamental religions namely, Islamism, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism and Buddhism. I mean... All these while I am fond of religions. For me, religion is a very wide scope where there is no right or wrong. Religion is pure and beautiful. It makes me understand their perceptions of life easier than others.

One of the questions he raised, "How could you stay faithful to Taoism while you are reading about the Bible as well?" I told him honestly that it was a very difficult question for me to answer and I thought for a moment finally replying to his inquiry, "I believe that I have to return to Him the way I was sent by Him," born as a Taoist, die as a Taoist. I don't see anything religious in this context, seriously...

Well then I retorted him, "Let's say that I am studying about 5 different religions, does that mean I have to convert my faith for 5 times?"

Honestly, he was the first person ever to question my faith this deeply before. Either to judge me (as status quo says, humans are prone to judgments) or to understand my point of view, that I wouldn't know. He was being curious, I suppose. But then again, curiosity has it's reason.

There was another thing I forgot to raise up: My friend who's currently studying in Toronto, Canada says that she's studying about world religions now. Well then again, does that mean all Canadian students will have to convert their faiths as they read along the books, to so called... Understand the religions better?

So, readers, as I have said, religion is truly a beautiful subject where we can never proof the existence of God (in the world where people sometimes claim "to see is to believe" because certainly we cannot see Him. Here I am not saying about the wonders he could do but I am saying about his physical existence. Please don't misunderstand me.) and yet we all still have faith in Him. And there is no such absolute definition of God (and Universe) because it is a very subjective matter which should not be questioned radically. Neither's right nor wrong, at all.

No comments: