NUFFY

Monday, June 15, 2009

I promised

Yes I did for my English paper one exam. Remember - the one that I said I will post the corrected version of my 'Opal' story? Here it is. Enjoy.
-k-

The first time I saw her, I thought she was someone really special; from the way she dressed, right to the way she spoke. She was someone better than Taylor Swift, Michael Jackson or even Paula Abdul!

Her white hair tied back into a bun, and her saggy eye bags that impressed no one; I on the other hand saw sparkles. She was my beloved grandmother, Opal.

It all started when my parents had to go to Hong Kong for a month because of "some minor problems in their branch there". Then, from the place I lived: Kuala Lumpur, the city of life and entertainment I was thrown to a place that I barely knew of with so many other aliens and anomalies; Rasah Jaya. I was brought to an old lady who had a family bond with me.

I disagreed at first but Dad said,"only Opal could take care of you son! You are ten years old - not twenty!"

She was naive and a very homely lady. Wouldn't it be weird if you see an old lady as naive as a five year old kid? However, she did her best as my baby sitter.

She took care of me as if I was her own baby boy. Even Mum and Dad or even Yanti (my maid) never took care of me like that.

I cannot really blame them, you see. They were busy working twenty-four-seven: that is twenty-four hours a day and seven days a week.

Day by day, I started to fall deeper and deeper in love with her. I would go wherever she went. I loved to see her cracked lips curved up just to reveal her yellowish teeth. I hug her before I go to bed, sleep on her tights like a small baby and play with her hair sometimes. That was happiness I could tell! Pure ecstasy!

After I returned from my cocoon of tranquility and happiness, I called her almost every day just to make sure I hear her laughter through the phone.


One day, someone called me. A girl. Her name was Shirley.

"Hello, Opal! How are you? Getting any better?" and there was silence.
"Opal?"
Hello, are you Alex?" a girl asked. Mid-twenties I think.
"Yeah. Who are you? Where is Opal?"
"I am Shirley, her grand daughter from UK."
"Oh, yes! I remembered that she used to take care of you - until the day you left her..."
"I'm sorry, Alex." She started crying. Oh, no. This is not a good news, I told myself.
"Sorry? For what? WHERE IS OPAL? LET ME TALK TO HER! WHERE IS -"
"She died, Alex. She died," and she couldn't stop herself from weeping anymore.

I was devastated. Alone. Lonely. I felt that everything and everyone had turned their backs on me. I had to accept the fact.
"OK," and I hung up. I started sobbing uncontrollably.

I knew that she wasn't lying because of two reasons.
1. It was not April Fool's day.
2. She was crying. She meant it. Opal WAS dead.

A few blue months after her departure, I went to that house again with Dad and Mum just to 'smell' the memories - nostalgia. Then I came to a small piece of envelope addressed to me.
"To Alex. My Grandchild."
I tore open the envelope and scrutinised every word she had written.

Alex, my beloved grandchild,
I am sure when you receive this letter, I might be dead and forgotten by many. I kept my health status as a secret from you so that you will not worry. I am actually suffering from brain cancer. Doctors said that I only had a week or two left but everything in my life changed when I first saw you. Though you were very mischievous then, I saw sparkles in you. You changed my life, Alex. And that was why I could live for another year! Thank you so much. Now, what I want you to do is stop mourning for Opal - because I know you will, and continue to live happily. I don't want to see my Alex crying all the times, OK. Promise me!

With love,
Opal =)
-the end-

PS: I managed to get 33/50 this time which is indeed a very good thing for me. I used to get below 30 all the time... So, this paper (paper one) alone I gained 66/85. What I can do now is to pray so that I can get an A1.

Thank you, Lord for being there with me...

No comments: