NUFFY

Monday, June 28, 2010

Redox

Redox. Exactly, people. It sounds as wrong as it is spelled! Today I finally finished this wonderous chapter of form 5 Chemistry and with that, I have covered Chemistry (though not memorizing it at all) and Biology (that's a week-old's story).

There was one particular reaction where I can't keep my curiosity to myself at all. It's a weird thing between a blue ion with a colourless solution. I went to the extend of searching things in Google for about an hour and finally this website cleared all my doubts. This was what I found there. Weird as it even sounds like - redox. I told you it is weird!!
----------------------

COPPER

This page looks at some aspects of copper chemistry required for UK A' level exams. The chemistry of copper(II) is mainly summarised from elsewhere on the site, with links available to more detailed explanations. The page also covers some simple copper(I) chemistry.

Reactions of hexaaquacopper(II) ions with ammonia solution

The ammonia acts as both a base and a ligand. With a small amount of ammonia, hydrogen ions are pulled off the hexaaqua ion exactly as in the hydroxide ion case to give the same neutral complex.

That precipitate dissolves if you add an excess of ammonia.

The ammonia replaces water as a ligand to give tetraamminediaquacopper(II) ions. Notice that only 4 of the 6 water molecules are replaced.



----------------------
Weird, huh? This isn't even explained in my books. The stupid thing I don't understand is why are we programmed to memorize things when we don't even understand it. Thanks to this website, I understood clearly.

I mean... Must we really wait until A level to understand? It is rather basic. For this part. I didn't even bother looking at other things beside this, because that's clearly my level of understanding. Ah, never mind. It's 12.05am now and I begin to contradict myself. Andrew was shocked when he knew I have this periodic changes from morning to midnight.

Morning - I lag the most: do a lot of staring blankly and do nothing. Takes me 10 minutes to finish a small cuppa milk.

Noon - I jump and go gay* most.

Night - Getting stupider and slower but I have to curb that part small to finish my homework sometimes.

Midnight - Contradict my own statements. That is when my curiosity level is sky high, but I contradict myself when I found the answer.

*go gay. Today was extremely weird which I doubt I ever felt this extreme. After getting my Moral marks (I got 81% for it Mum, Dad!) I sat beside Francine and I felt extremely gay. I wanted to hug Jason and he just shooed me off. Ha, ha. MY lovely classmates. This lasted for 10 minutes - lucky isn't any longer!

Mum, I think one day you just gotta get up from bed and getting a message from me saying

Morning mum. You know what? I'm gay. Don't hang yourself. Love, your gay son.

Ha, ha. Mum. Don't take it seriously. It was clearly a joke. I know you ain't.... (censored) enough to believe it anyway. It's just as you believing the world's still flat. No offense. Love you, Mum.

Alright people. It's 12.13am now. I really have to pack my bag for tomorrow, button my uniform for Wednesday and SLEEP. Good night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

An Empty Vial said...

anyway the excerpt was not mine... it was from a site, i quoted.