NUFFY

Friday, August 12, 2011

Anxiety Awareness Week in The Chronicles of a Broken Heart

Few weeks ago, I have attended this Buddism seminar in my college and we were doing our dharma sharing on the similar topic - exam stress, which I could pretty much relate it to anxiety.

Let's just define what this means first shall we?
Anxiety is a psychological and physiological st​ate characterized by somatic, emotional, cogniti​ve, and behavioral components.[2] ​The root meaning of the word anxiety is 'to vex or trouble'; in either presence or absence of psychological stress, anxiety can create feelings of fear, worry, uneasiness, and dread.[3] Anxiety is considered to be a normal reaction to a stressor. It may help someone to deal with a difficult situation by prompting them to cope with it. When anxiety becomes excessive, it may fall under the classification of an anxiety disorder.[4] -Wikipedia

Sometimes, anxiety cannot be avoided. It comes naturally to you especially during exam periods for teens out there, as well as fight or flight situations for adults at work. This is where exactly critical thinking comes in! Or should I say, algorithm?

Don't fret when you are anxious. It is perfectly normal for you to feel such. If you have never felt anxious in your life, well I could only conclude you're not a human, because humans have emotions you see?! Humans - we cry, laugh, angry, envious and do all sorts of things. Like I was saying, I bet most of you here are pretty well versed with many sorts of physical formulae, accounting formats and the list just flies up infinitively...

Have you never thought of this - if you could solve those problems ON PAPERS, why not in real life? That is the reason why we even study at the first place. Not to simply ace in your exams but to be good in your sociological skills too! We do algorithms every single day without us noticing. The easiest example I could give is: You need light, you switch it on.

So, as I was saying earlier, learn to apply what you know (by means of experience or lessons learnt in the past) when you are faced with any sorts of dilemma. I always like to ask people to pray, and believe in God. Although I am a deist (by all means I do believe in God, but the only thing I am proud to be lack of is religion. No offense) which people soon think that I am eventually an atheist but whatever... I don't quite care what they say. Be them Christians, Muslims or Jewish, whatever. I am a deist. I always seek God for help and to thank Him. Surely, He listens and helps me a lot!

Without Him, I believe everyone here would fail. He has given us life and in it, knowledge and wisdom, we shall use it properly to counter our anxiety and not succumb into failure just like that! I always tend to be angry with people who always say, "I cannot do it" before they try doing it.

OK, allow me to share my part on how I deal with axiety. My only anxiety here in college is I ALWAYS press the wrong buttons in my calculations and that is where I lose marks!!! What I do before any tests was, "Dear Lord, please I beg of you. Guide my fingers in doing my calculations and open my eyes and give me Thy wisdom and knowledge to answer these questions."

Now, my anxiety at home is of my Dad. It is not I do not love him, or I hate him, but he somehow always gives problems to me. He always threatens to come back home to Malaysia (he is working in the UK currently) when he loses faith working there and this in turn leads me to anxiety, then depression. It always happens this way. Anxiety and then depression and I get delirious by cursing him without making any sense. But somewhere around January (if I am not mistaken), I got fed up with his threats. I prayed again, "Dear Lord, please give me Thy patience and strength and please heal his sickness". And again my prayer was answered. I grew now not to care for whatever he tends to do, as long he does his part as a good father. Whether he wants to come back to Malaysia or not, that is already none of my concern. I grew tired with all these threats.

Before I end, I would like to tell you that I do love him as my father. It is only his minor attitudes I don't tend to like. Otherwise, I do love him and do not hate him or despise of him.

Hope you readers would have a great week ahead. Remember, anxiety only comes when you are not prepared for something! You can deal with it! Good luck <3

Yours truly,
Alex.

Kyrie eleison; Supplicanti parce, Deus.

No comments: